Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I attended a volleyball practice yesterday. It wasn't a formal practice, it was deemed a "captains" practice, but the ironic thing I noticed about this is that the team captains are not picked until after Spring season. The girls warmed up like usual and then decided to play doubles. A few girls here and there were reminding everyone to talk and work hard. After doubles, the team got together and had to decide what drill they wanted to do next. There seemed to be some tension between a few of the players because they kept going back and forth on what drill they wanted to do. Eventually everyone came to an agreement and they did a serve receive drill. It took them a while to finish the drill (they set a goal on how many passes they had to get to get out of the drill) and I could tell that the overall morale of the team was not so great at this point. After a water break, they decided to play queen of the court and usually this is a fun energetic competetive game, but from what I witnessed this time around it was a complete lack of that. I could feel it while I was playing and someone needed to step up to pull the team back together, but no one did. I feel like this is a good example of how teams need leaders to get them through their tough times. Without leaders, players have a hard time working together and striving to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment